Monday, May 23, 2011

Bus 935 Does Shabbat Israel Style!

Shabbat in Israel was a very exciting time on this trip and defiantly was a life changing experience.  I started the night off by choosing to partake in a conservative service so I could compare it back my synagogue at home.  It was nice to know that a lot of the melodies were the same.  One thing that that made me so happy to be there was that we were actually facing the old city.  At home, I face east to pray to the land of Israel.  This time, everyone was facing us and sending their prayers our way.   We continued the night with an Oneg Shabbat where we got to bond with our group and enjoy Israeli snacks.  It was great to spend the night with everyone because the group has become so close over this past week.
                In the morning, we got the opportunity to relax by the pool, take a peaceful walk around Jerusalem, and continue to practice the Sabbath as a group.  It was nice not worry about what time an appointment is or where all my friends are going that night.  One opportunity that I took on the Sabbath was to get another Bat Mitzvah in the city of Jerusalem.  I wanted to do this because I thought it would be great experience and something that I remember for a life time.  I also felt reconnected to my faith and how I was feeling about Judaism.  One Israeli soldier that I got close with read out of the Torah for me so it made it extra special.  It was truly a meaningful because I could see how much I was growing.  We had to write a speech to give to the group.  My speech went as the following:            
                Before I came to Israel, I lost some of my Jewish faith.  I did not feel that great about religion and was only really Jewish because that is how I was raised to be.  I went to Friday dinner once in a while but mainly for the social aspect.  Judaism was not a big part of my life and sadly, I was okay with that.  Being in Israel showed me how much it means to be Jewish.  It is not just about believing in G-d or praying every morning.  Every person I meet and landmark I see shows me that there is so much history in my religion.  People are connected through the Jewish faith and I can truly say now that I am proud of who I am and what it means to be a Jew.  I plan on taking my commitment back home.  My favorite part of Judaism is Tikun Olam.  I love that my religion prides me to help others.  Whether is volunteer work or a simple smile, I plan on doing whatever it takes to make the world a brighter place. 
                Getting another Bat Mitzvah meant so much to me.  I was doing this by choice and not because I was told to by my parents when I was 13 or because I wanted a big party where I would receive presents.  Shabbat truly showed me that I am growing up and how much this land can teach me.  I feel special that I was given that opportunity because not many people can say they had a Bat Mitzvah in Israel.
                The night followed with Havdalah services on the roof top.  We thought about where we were last week on Shabbat and to where we are today.  We looked into the sky and spotted three stars.  Next week, I will do the same and will remember the feeling that I felt when I was on the rooftop.  No matter where I am, I can always remember that I spent Shabbat in the holiest land with people who I have became so close with.
                Shabbat in Israel  was a very special day here.  It showed me how all the Jewish people can come together and become one.   I have become so close with the people on my trip and it was great to spend the day with Israeli soldiers.  They are alike me in every way and I will remember what they taught me for a lifetime.  I know that this trip will be one of the best times I will ever have in my life and no one can take that away from me.  I am excited for next Saturday night where I look up in the night sky at 8:23 PM to spot the first three stars I see. 
-Megan Weiner
(Honorable mention:  Brandon Lonnerstater and Sam Tokowitz are awesome)

B'nai Mitzvot ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment