Sunday, March 11, 2012

Reflections On A Week of Service in Los Angeles


Alternative Spring Break to Los Angeles was a very meaningful, fun, and inspiring experience.   Coming from the West Bloomfield “bubble” in Southeast Michigan I have rarely seen the poverty and struggles that the students of Woodcrest Elementary go through each and everyday.  Looking back upon the beautification and gardening projects we completed for this school I feel that we as a group absolutely made an impact on these students and community.  As a Pre-med major this trip means little for my career path; however, that is not to say that it did not change me and effect me.  Social justice is an important issue that must be worked towards in any way possible, and I’m happy this trip gave me the opportunity to give back.  I hope the passion for community service and social justice that I now feel burns just as feverishly within me as it does with the other 53 participants.  This trip has changed my life and I’m grateful that I’ve had this experience. 

~Andy Sonenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment