Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Powerful Connections

I didn't think that I could feel so close, so connected, with seven people as fast as I have this week. 

When I first met Hadar, Aviv, Yuval, Dana, Daniel, Ory, and Shai in Tel Aviv I learned a lot about what an Israeli soldier is really like.  I found similarities with each of them and, after a short while, our groups time together was spent with more laughter and fun than what I thought would be the educational experience of living with people who are so different than me. Sure enough, I learned that we are all so alike, have similar aspirations and, as my group has differences in views on Judaism, Israel, and politics, so did the Israelis.  

During their time with us, we experienced so much together-- the nightlife in Jerusalem, Independence Hall, Haifa, Save a Child's Heart, and so much more. I do not think our experience on Taglit-Birthright Israel would be anywhere close to as great if we did not have them with us. By the end of our time together, I had gained seven friends that I felt comfortable talking to about any concerns or issues I had and I also believe we have enriched each of their lives with a little American experience. I hope to see each of my new friends sometime soon. Hopefully once they are out of their military service.

-Ben Silverman







No comments:

Post a Comment