Thursday, December 20, 2012

                                                      Day 5 - Thursday, December  20th


Growing up as I did, I put a lot of energy and internal thought as to how I might feel if I should ever reach the holy city of Jerusalem. And well, today I got a chance to finally have those internal discussions and meditations answered. Yeah, it wasn’t all I was expecting it to be. But then again, I couldn't kid myself into expecting some revelatory ‘light bulb’ moment, where everything would just click into place and the whole world would make sense. What instead I was greeted with was a city that I knew that my history (that is to say the history of my people, not me directly) was linked with.
Still, having the service with the other birthright buses Mount Scopus observation point where I got a chance to look at this enormous city that I’d seen in all the pictures was that first moment that I really had a chance to reflect on what I was seeing, there in front of me, and not on some small computer screen. Yes, it wasn’t what I thought it would be. But it was something. Something I’d never seen or experienced before (most certainly not with Hava Nagila playing in the background) nor with the wind nearly blowing off my fedora. And those moments of expectations being lost, but also experienced anew continued, with the climbing and walking of the inner walls, to getting to put my own note into the cracks into the western wall.
Not everything is as it seems in this place, most certainly not in the heads of those coming to it with expectations made ahead of time.

-Paul Barudin






No comments:

Post a Comment