Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I've been told that this is the first blog entry since day 2, so I have quite the challenge in front of me to cover all that has
happened since then.

The beter question might be to ask what HAVEN'T we done in the past week. We've visited the Kotel,
conquered Masada, rafted down the Jordan River, ridden camels, spent a night at a Bedouin camp and floated in the dead sea.
Many of us became B'nai Mitzvot, some for the first time, this past Shabbat in Jerusalem. We explored Tel Aviv as well as much of
Jerusalem, both new and old. We've eaten, shopped, bartered, and then eaten some more. Finally, we've met and bonded with 8 awesome
Israeli soldiers, who represent the bright future the state of Israel has.

As I sit in our hotel in Ashkelon on the last night of this trip writingt this blog, I've realized there is no way I can
possibly convey how amazing this experience has been for all of us. People who were total strangers barely a week ago I now
count among my closest friends.

For all of those reading who have children, siblings, relatives, or friends who are on Bus #989, my best advice would be to
ask questions when we all return. Ask about the lion dog on the Kibbutz, being thanked by Dirk, trying to find Sarah, and our
collective inability to count to 40. Ask about the night in the Negev desert, our beloved tour guide Muki, and all the hours
we should've slept but were way too eager to remain in each other's company, knowing how quickly these 10 days would pass.
Ask about the places we've visited, what we've learned and relearned, the friends we made and the moments we will never forget.

It has not even begun to sink in that this adventure is all but over, and it may not be a for a few weeks or months that I truly
realize the profundity of the last 10 days. One thing is crystal clear: I've formed an incredible bond with the state of
Israel, and I know that even though I depart tomorrow morning, it will not be long before I return to my homeland.

Until later,
Max Lowe
Bus #989 - Taglit Birthright Israel

No comments:

Post a Comment